Main Menu

Forums SwiftForth Forum Thanks for maintaining Code

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Budsy 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Gerard Schultz
    Participant

I looked at all the Forth code on Git, and gee – half of it doesn’t work, there is no documentation, … the lack of the commercial aspect has caused a serious deterioration of the public face of Forth, although I do believe people with well maintained code do exist, they do not share because of poor monetization.

I recall when many Forths were available in commercial packages, all well documented and packaged. So thanks for maintaining this tradition, with code
    that works, and is nicely documented. For personal users it would be nice if this were a little less expensive … for many of us would like to purchase this to support Forth Inc.

Budsy
    Participant

For me it’s the SwiftX that gets a little spendy if you need to work with various boards, but the license for SwiftForth seems pretty fair these days. It only costs about as much as 5 or 6 large pizzas, and gives you a lot less heart burn.

rogerlevy
    Participant

I can’t say I fully understand Forth.com’s pricing strategy. Forth is not in high demand – why put up a paywall?

I think it must be a leftover from the times when programming languages were SOLID and in a way the high prices helped to screen out the would-be time-wasters and lousy programmers and ensure a certain level of support.

But I think times have changed. Programming is more democratic.

rogerlevy
    Participant

@budsy 5 or 6 pizzas? Do you frequently get gold leaf on yours?

Budsy
    Participant

Ha! The gold leaf ones cost extra!

But check out pricing for systems like VFX (http://www.mpeforth.com/pricelist.htm) . You get some fancy tooling with something like this. I just need the simplicity of SF though.

I saw some open source Forth projects out there somewhere. These are often built on top of C, C++ or others. Or GForth is there. So, options are available.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.