Main Menu

Forums SwiftForth Forum Linux IDE

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  cbayona 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

cbayona
    Participant

The page on SwiftForth vaguely speaks of the IDE for Windows, Linux, and MacOS to develop software in.

I have been told that the Linux and MacOS of the development software does not have an IDE in the traditional sense like the Windows version does. I been considering switching from Windows to Linux and that information would be part of the descision proccess.

So my question is if the Linux and MacOS versions of SwiftForth have a development IDE like the Windows version does and not just a console window?

Thanks

Cecil

Leon Wagner
    Keymaster

Your use of “traditional sense” makes me smile. We have been using “IDE” (Interactive Development Environment) since the 1970s. All our Forth systems are fully interactive with the target system (even the cross compilers when connected via a debug interface). The Linux and macOS versions run as a command line in a console window, but they do have LOCATE / EDIT configurable to launch your own editor. I’ve been working mostly in the macOS command-line version and I love it.

cbayona
    Participant

OK, glad to make you smile we could all use that from time to time, maybe I should have said graphical IDE, but it seems in most software that part is assumed and so did I, usually the term IDE is referred as Integrated Development Environment which what I assume the website mean by IDE.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_development_environment

Command based is not the end of the world for me but it’s helpful in having commonly used functions a mouse click away rather than type some command that has to be memorized.

It’s interesting that your main usage is on a Mac I know several other serious Forth developers and the also use a Mac for developing Forth software for various platforms. I have a Mac but it is quite old (2007) and my funds are rather limited due to illness so upgrading it is out of the realm of possibilities.

Having a version for Windows, Linux and MacOS are rather handy and I assume otherwise that the Linux version can do and has all the tools that the Windows version has which are quite useful especially in creating stand-alone software.

Thanks

Cecil Bayona

vido
    Participant

Forth can be seen as a compiler with an interpreter interface, it’s a living dictionary. The kind of IDE you refer to supposes a compiled language with a rigid separation between the language itself and the application. Such a separation does not really exist with Forth, with which you are actually developping your language together with your project.

cbayona
    Participant

But the Windows version of SwiftForth has a graphical IDE and that works well so does VFX from MPE which has a graphical IDE for Windows, Linux, and MacOS all these interfaces to Forth work out rather well, and they are not the only Forth that has IDEs, Win32Forth, and Holon comes to mind also.

In any case, there isn’t one for Linux so I have to live with that, it’s not the end of the world.

I have been switching from Windows to Linux and some of my apps do a lot of text printing on a screen and the Linux version of Swiftforth is way faster than the Windows version so that makes me happy and more than makes up for the lack of a graphical IDE.

Now what I need it to sit down with the Linux manual and try out using the OS interface into Linux so I can make some Linux Graphic Applications, I have tried it with C and Linux is easier to interface to than Windows so I expect the same with SwiftForth.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.